Caged From Credence bits Part 2
Back in July I typed up a selection from a story that I just started; I've decided to continue with it. I've even got a title for it! Here's a bit that I finished yesterday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sitting in the library, Celia was trying to concentrate on the book in her hands, but she has been on the same page for the past twenty minutes. She closed the book and turned to look at the window behind her. Through the windows of the library was the large, beautiful garden. One could usually get lost in the view, but Celia's mind was elsewhere. She couldn't stop thinking of the conversations with Mr. Ryan and Mrs. MaClarian.
Upstairs in her room was a birdcage containing a small bluebird. At night she had been trying to recreate the trick Mr. Ryan had showed her with that very bird. The only thing she accomplished was learning how to remove bird droppings from the surfaces of her bedroom. She was starting to think this whole thing was a conspiracy to drive her mad, but thinking logically, of course this wasn't the case.
She was thinking about paying another visit to Mrs. MaClarian when her cousin Frederick walked into the room. He was her mother's sister's son and the two of them were born within months of each other. Celia always took the opportunity to remind him that she was the oldest.
"She appears deep in thought, but is in fact not so." He grinned and sat in the chair next to her.
"How observant."
"Yes, well, I've come to know every look that comes across that face. I haven't yet mastered the whole mind reading thing quite yet."
Startled, she opened her eyes wide and stared at him.
"What?"
She collected herself. "Nothing. Actually, you were wrong. I was deep in thought about something. I couldn't even concentrate on my book."
"Damn. I guess I'm not so observant as I thought."
Celia got up and put her unread book back on the shelf. "Well, don't beat yourself up about it, Freddy. I haven't exactly been acting like my usual self these days."
"Oh?" Frederick raised an eyebrow. With a smirk on his face he said, "Is there a suitor in thou midst?"
"N-," Celia stopped. She couldn't tell him what the real reason was, even though it was Freddy. And besides, Mrs. MaClarian said not to share with anyone. "Um, yes, well, it's complicated."
"I see." He got up and stood in front of her. "Who is this person whose life I must make miserable?"
"In that case, I'm not telling you."
"I am insulted!" he shouted teasingly.
Celia laughed. "Fine, then," he said. "I see I must do some sleuthing and find this beast myself."
"Oh, good, then it will take a while."
"Again! Insulted!" But then he laughed as well. "Well, I must go. Sorry to tease and dash. I just wanted to come by and see how you were today. I have an appointment with a professor that I am not looking forward to at all. Perhaps a longer visit is in store tomorrow. Au revoir!"
Celia waved after him.
Hopefully I can share this with him soon, she thought. I need to discuss all this with someone half-way sane.
She remembered that she was thinking of paying another visit to Mrs. MaClarian when Freddy walked in. She decided to do just that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I literally thought of Frederick as I was writing this. I think I like him.
